If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (989) 752-8644

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Circuit Overload

9/15/2021 (Permalink)

Burning wire in an outlet. Have you ever plugged in too many devices into one outlet at once?

Have you ever plugged in too many devices into one outlet at once? Everything seemed fined and all of a sudden, the power goes off. You more than likely created a circuit overload in your home. 

All electrical circuits are designed to handle a certain amount of electricity. When you bring in more electricity than a circuit can handle, a circuit overload will occur, potentially causing a fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association, electrical fires are one of the leading causes of structure fire annually. Which is accounted for nearly 13% of reported home fires and results in 420 fatalities, 1,520 injuries and nearly $1.5 billion in property damage. 

How can you prevent a potential house fire by an overloaded circuit? Follow the tips below: 

  • Never plug more than two devices into an outlet at once. 
  • Know the amount of power you are putting on an outlet or circuit. 
  • Large appliances like refrigerators and dryers should be plugged into their own outlet since they are heavy power users. 
  • If you see that you have been overloading an outlet or circuit in your home, you should consider contacting a professional to help resolve the problem. 

If an electrical fire does occur, we are always here to help 24/7. We specialize in fire and water damage restoration, the cornerstone of our business. We have extensive fire damage cleanup and restoration training to get your property back to pre-fire condition. 

For more information about how to prevent electrical fires in your home, visit nfpa.org

Other News

View Recent Posts