When floodwater enters your home or business, it can cause "standing water". Standing water is a pool of water that does not flow. This can be a dangerous thing if it is not handled correctly. Standing water should be dealt with right away. The cleanup can sometimes take up to 10 or 11 days to completely disappear unless it is mitigated immediately.
Here are some protective measures to take into consideration when dealing with standing water:
Stay Away from Standing Water
- Sewage, debris, and other unpleasant things can be in the standing water leftovers
- Standing water is a breeding ground for bacteria and other parasites
- Swimming, wading, or rafting can make you sick
- Wash your hands after contact with standing water
- Do not drink the water
- Water conducts electricity. Underground power lines can give you a dangerous shock
Standing Water vs. Animals:
- Snakes and other animals may get into your home or building. Wear work boots and heavy gloves when you clean up
- Mosquitoes can breed and grow in standing water
- Some animals might find your home or business a cozy place to live
- If tap water is unsafe to drink, it is unsafe for your pets
If you find yourself dealing with standing water of any kind, we are here to help make it “Like it never even happened."